Do you love plantain?
Whether fried, boiled, grilled or even as a “swallow” with soup, you can never go wrong with plantain. It works as a perfect side that goes nicely with most of our favourite dishes – jollof rice and beans. It also helps that it’s always available in the market, so no off-season for this reliable food ingredient.
Here are some really amazing health benefits of plantain guaranteed to make you love it even more!
- Eases constipation: According to Nutrition and You, plantain is a good source of dietary fibre. This nutrient helps to relieve constipation by increasing the speed of food as it’s digested in the body.
- Enriches the heart: Research shows that plantain contains potassium which can greatly lower your risk of getting a heart attack and hypertension. How exactly? It significantly regulates your heartbeat and lowers blood pressure in the body cells.
- Gives energy: If you have been experiencing extreme fatigue lately, a delicious plantain dish can give you that much-needed energy boost. According to the experts at Health Guidance, the proteins and vitamins in plantain aid energy-producing enzymes at work in your body. Plantain also contains a good amount of sugar, especially ripe plantain, that produces this energy and is easily absorbed by the body.
- Strengthens bones: Plantain is rich in calcium and this helps to strengthen bones and prevent fractures. An added benefit is the strengthening of nails and teeth, as cited byLivestrong.
- Aids brain activities: Also worth noting is plantain’s important chemical property called serotonin. Studies show that it’s responsible for improving brain activities like sleeping, thinking and keeping moods stable, as stated in Livestrong,
- Improves eye sight: Last but not least, there is the benefit eating plantain provides to our eyes. Plantain is a great source of beta-carotene, a plant pigment which produces Vitamin A after digestion. This vitamin is an essential nutrient for improved vision and can even reduce your risk of eye infections.