Courting was fun! Now things are about to get turned up a notch with your engagement. Are you nervous about meeting the people who are about to become your in-laws? Fret not!
Chances are, once you’ve decided to marry someone, you’ve most likely already met your future in-laws. However, if you haven’t, you’re probably nervous about saying or doing the right thing.
Relax, we’ve got this!
Here are some basic social etiquette tips to pick up and with this we are sure you would do just fine.
- Research Family Dynamics: If either set of parents is divorced, set up meetings based on family dynamics and how well they get along.
- Do Your Homework: Find out the likes and dislikes of your in-laws from your fiancé or fiancée. You don’t have to become an expert but know enough to hold a decent conversation. If you’re engaged to someone from a different culture? Do everything you can to show respect for your fiancé’s family heritage. Go above and beyond and learn proper greeting e.g Ask your partner to teach you a few pleasantries in your future in-laws’ native language.
- Always Be On Time: Being late is regarded as being disrespectful. If you know you’d be late, call ahead of time and inform all parties involved.
- Dress Appropriately: Remember that you only have one chance to make a first impression, so dress as nicely as you can, based on where you plan to meet. Make sure your hair and fingernails are clean and well groomed.
- Address them respectfully: Don’t be overly familiar. Start out by calling your mother-in-law and father-in-law Mr. or Mrs. They may ask you to call them Mom and Dad and if they do, tell them you’re honoured and do as they ask.
- Spend alone time with your in-laws: Make time to have one-on-one convos with them apart from the group conversations. Getting to know your new family better will only make the next visit that much easier.
- Don’t Fake It but also learn to relax! Don’t try to be who you think your in-laws want you to be. And try to relax as well, remember they are humans just like you!
Does the proposed in-law visit seem easier already? Yes? Mission accomplished. Now proceed to share this article with someone who needs this cheer. You can also follow us on Facebook,Twitter and Instagramto learn more about Morning Fresh Dishwashing Liquid.