As parents, we all feel the need to throw an extraordinary birthday party for our kids, even when money is tight! The truth is we all feel that gnawing need to spend more than we can afford to make our lil’ one’s dreams come true.
We think to ourselves, after all, Mrs X just rented out the entire kiddies factory OR Cousin Y just closed the entire estate down for their kids’ birthdays, so why shouldn’t I do the same? Wrong mindset! The truth is that you don’t have to empty your life savings to throw an awesome birthday bash that everyone will love; all it takes is some creativity and careful planning.
Here are some trade secrets that the Morning Fresh team would love to share with you:
No Party Altogether? Yes! When kids are still little, consider skipping a traditional birthday party altogether. There are other more intimate celebrations like picnics, intimate family lunches, day outings at kid’s amusement parks etc.
But if you insist or your wife insists, keep reading J
- Plan Way Ahead: Have an estimate of how many guests, proposed venue etc. That way you can get early bird discounts OR simply have it at your house if you have the extra space. Start supply-hunting early; it’ll give you time to compare prices.
- Save the Earth: Send out electronic invitations instead of hardcopy IVs; you’ll save what you’d normally spend on paper invites.
- Try home-made decors and party favours. They are cheap and easy to make. The internet is your oyster.
- Adopt activities that require no hired entertainment: Some free activities are Freeze Dance, Musical Chairs, Charades, kiddie’s puzzles etc
- Home Cater: Find out what easy DIY food or drinks you can cater for from your kitchen. Eg Punch, Zobo, Brownies etc This way you don’t necessarily have to outsource it and you save money
- Instead of hiring an expensive photographer, take pictures with a phone that has an excellent camera. You can then print out on one of the many online digital photobooks for the hard copies much later.
- Timing is key: Plan your party from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. After lunch and before dinner that way guests don’t expect a full meal. You can then get away with serving finger foods, salads, desserts etc
Planning your kid’s party anytime soon? Know anyone who is? Share these tips with them to save them some naira, especially with this economy J, You can also follow us on Facebook,Twitter and Instagram to learn more about Morning Fresh Dishwashing Liquid.