The garden egg sauce is a tasty Nigerian dish that can be paired with potatoes, yam or plantain. With garden egg as the main ingredient, this sauce provides a lot of nutritional benefits, a few of which include:
- Rich in flavonoids, garden eggs help to promote heart health and reduce the risk of high blood pressure.
- Garden eggs are low in calories and can contribute to a healthy low-calorie diet. It is also rich in fibre which can help increase satisfaction and reduce appetite.
- Studies have shown that garden eggs are rich in antioxidants that can help protect the liver from toxins.
- Garden eggs can also help to facilitate blood flow to the brain. This improves brain memory and may reduce the risk of age-related disorders.
To prepare garden egg sauce, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Garden Egg
Before buying, inspect the garden eggs and avoid those with brown spots or mottled flesh. Make sure to buy baby garden eggs that have just matured. The seeds are still soft and can be easily ground. You can buy the green, white or yellow variety of garden egg, depending on your preference.
- Palm oil
- Bell pepper
- Smoked fish
- Locust beans (Iru) – Optional
Locust bean is a traditional seasoning that adds a unique flavour to soups and stews. You can buy this seasoning in the local markets.
- Salt and seasoning to taste
- Rinse the garden eggs, remove the stalks and cut into small chunks. Place the chunks into a blender and add just enough water to blend the garden eggs. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the blended puree into a pot and boil till the water is dried up.
- Clean and dress the fish. Chop the pepper and onions into small pieces.
4. Pour palm oil into a clean pot and heat it up. Add the chopped onions and pepper and fry for about 2 minutes.